Friday 11 February 2011

UDK Development start

Yo!


I've been asked to create a game level using UDK. The game level will be based on New York rooftops and will be a mulitplayer map. The level must be on a rooftop and must be able to hold around 8 players. Because we are using UDK (Unreal Development Kit) the game will be able to run on the Unreal Tournament game and will be based on the game's death match rules.


Starting the project, I researched different rooftops and found a load of different roofs and created my level design. With the level design paper work complete, I had to create a list of assets, these include:

  • garden furniture


  • plant pots


  • plants


  • air condictioners


  • water towers


  • scaffholding and pipes.

Many of the assests are already installed on the UDK content browers, which I will use, such as the plants, scaffholding and pipes, as they are just randomly placed in the background or supporting models. Having created a network share folder on the college network, this allows my class to share all assets. We sat around the table and descussed the assets, that was last week. We created a list of assets we are making for ourselves and others. I volentreed to create the water tower and graffiti decals.

Last week I started the water tower. I created the water tower on Maya 11 and started will a cylinder. Cutting faces and extruding the faces to create little walkways around the tower. By extruding the top of the cylinder, I created the top by scaling the faces in wards, and did the bottum the same way. I created two ladders, one I created and the other was dupilcaded. The ladders was created but using a cube and exstruding and bending over the ends. I also created the pipe the same way as the ladders. After creating the model, I textured it, maybe to not the best way, but I need to create a bump map of the textures to make the model much better.














After creating the water tower, I started my second task, creating graffiti decals. I decieded to revisit creating decalos on UDK before creating any graffiti. After revisting decals, I looked online at some graffiti art and found the artist Banksy and started to rub out the wall of his work to create decals of his work to put into the game levels.


No comments:

Post a Comment